The non-contact infrared thermometer is a novel and simple way of measuring your body temperature from a distance. With this device, you can take measurement in just 1-2 seconds. It reads temperature by measuring infrared energy coming off the body surface. This is because human skin is a good emitter of infrared energy, which helps in detecting body temperature.
To do this, the non-contact infrared thermometer consists of a lens to narrowly focus the infrared (IR) energy coming off human body (typically forehead) on to a detector in the device. Then, the device converts this heat energy to an electrical signal. And thereafter, the electric signal is shown as units of temperature in Fahrenheit or Centigrade scales on the display screen. Usually, devices are designed to compensate for any environment or ambient temperature variations.
Recently, with the outbreak of novel Coronavirus, use of contact-less infrared thermometers has grown manifold and is being used in offices, large shops/malls and public places. Infrared thermometers are today’s new age device which facilitates temperature measurement from a distance without any contact with the person or object to be measured. This is what makes it a super convenient and smart device for unique circumstances.
What general features you can expect from a non-contact thermometer
You may find that there are a number of models and prices in which infrared thermometers are available online and in some large medical stores. But all of them usually offer some basic features as given below. Also, you may note that they may differ in terms of build quality, durability, branding and price points.
The most common features are:-
- They measure temperature from a safe distance (usually 5-10 cms) and are thus contact-less
- Easy to use (just press a button to start reading) and light weight product with integrated processor
- Fast reading of temperature from forehead, usually in 1-2 seconds.
- Mostly, infrared thermometer can read temperature of a hot object such as baby’s hot milk
- Dual mode : Shows temperature in both Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees scale
- Usually powered by AA or AAA batteries and are mostly not included
- Have Two or Three Color Back light indicators, designated as Green for normal temperature for people, yellow for slight fever and red for high fever.
- Can be used for adults as well as children
Our Top Recommendations
We have gone by what is happening in the online market and user’s feedback and ratings. Also, we have looked at criteria like brand, manufacturer, build quality, design/looks and pricing. Also, few models carry warranty as well which has been factored in our recommendations. However, the following may not be an exhaustive list and this is only meant to help you in buying. Therefore, you are welcome to do our own search and select the one suitable to your needs.
Omron MC 720 Non Contact Digital Infrared Thermometer
- Accurate Fast 1-second measurement of temperature
- LCD backlight display
- Easy switch between ℃ / ℉ scales
- Takes temperature of Forehead (body), Room or object surface
- 25 readings can be stored in its memory
- Equipped with Japanese imported sensors
- FDA , CE approved
- Users ratings : 4*
Omron is a solid brand in medical devices space and we like his products features at this price. What is more, it comes with 1 year manufacturer’s warranty; so do check this one out !
Vandelay Non Contact Infrared Thermometer
- Non contact Measurement from forehead at 1-2 inches distance
- Claims high accuracy reading Body Temperature
- Useful for adults, infants and old alike
- 3- Color Backlight indicators: Green for normal, yellow for slight fever and red for high fever.
- Unique audio alarm feature: You can set up Fever Alarm for a particular threshold temperature
- 32 temp readings can be stored
- Claims to be Made in India brand
- User Ratings : 4*
Going by its features and good price, you will find this to be quite a budget product having pretty good ratings as of date. Good to buy.
Microtek Infrared Thermometer
- Advanced infrared technology
- Accurate 1 second temperature measurement from a distance of upto 15 cms
- Temperature range : 35℃ – 42℃
- Audio Fever Alarm in case of High Temperature
- Powered by 2 AA Batteries
- Users rating : 3.5 *
- Warranty : 6 Months
Microtek is a well-known brand in UPS and inverter batteries; the company has now launched this product and you may consider this as a good buy.
DR VAKU Swadesi Infrared Thermometer
- LCD Display Screen : Easily takes measurement during night also
- Works on 2 AAA batteries. Suitable for all including kids, adults and older citizens
- Rapid Body Temperature measurement
- LCD Backlight screen with Fever Colour Indicator
- Temperature can be shown in dual mode: °C or °F (Celsius or Fahrenheit scale)
- Claims to be Made In India Swadeshi product.
- Carries 6 months warranty
- Users rating/ feedback : 4 Star
This product comes at an affordable price and what is more, it has a warranty of 6 months also.
- Fast and accurate measurement of temperature
- Temperature reading in Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Large LCD Display : 2 color coded back-light indicators
- Fever alarm in case of high temperature and red color LCD indicator
- Dual mode: Person/Object such as hot milk
- Stores and recalls 30 last readings
- Package includes a cool carry case for storing the device
- Sleek and attractive design with superior build
- User rating : 4 *
With good looks, sleek design and superior build, this commands a premium pricing. And if you do not mind spending few rupees more, you can go for this solid infrared thermometer.
Equinox Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer
- Quick result in 1-2 seconds
- LCD Display Screen with 3 colours for fever detection; fever alarm
- 32 readings memory
- Auto power off in 30 sec
- Warranty: 18 Months
- Users Rating 4 *
This has been selling well and has garnered good user feedback. Coming at affordable price around Rs. 2000 with 18 month warranty, we see this as a good deal. Check this out !
How a non-contact infrared thermometer works
Essentially, an infrared thermometer tells how hot a person’s body is by measuring the infrared energy coming off the body, typically a forehead surface. It consists of a lens to narrowly focus the infrared (IR) energy coming off human body and sends to a detector in the device. Then, the device converts this heat energy to an electrical signal. In the next step, the electric signal is shown as temperature units in Fahrenheit or Centigrade degrees.
As a result, infrared thermometers have emerged as today’s state of the art device which facilitates temperature measurement from a distance without any contact with the person or object to be measured. And, it’s fairly accurate as compared with a regular thermometer. This is what makes it a super convenient and smart in helping in screening possible Covid-19 affected persons.
Do you need an Infrared Thermometer?
We consider this aspect in two parts keeping in mind that you may want this for your office/shop OR that you need this at home. You should note that an infrared thermometer has two properties : One, it can detect fever which is a symptom associated with Covid 19 infection and Two, it can measure body temperature quickly (1-2 seconds) without any contact with the infected person.
As you know, government guidelines suggest that offices and shops (which allow customers inside to look through items before buying), the owner or manager should check for an infected person for Covid-19 symptoms. So, it is better to keep a smart high tech device such as Infrared Thermometer for fever screening. Also, the process is infection free and contact less, posing no risk to you or person doing the screening.
But do you need to keep one at home ? Well, that depends upon if you would like to avoid any infection within the family esp. when you live in a large family or a joint family, or there are older people with pre-existing conditions. In that case, you would not like infection to spread within family too. So, if you can afford you can very well buy this as there is a range of prices from Rs. 1400 to Rs. 2400 or so.