A pulse oximeter is a convenient portable device to measure the oxygen level in your blood and pulse rate. Popularly used in hospitals and clinics for people suffering from respiratory diseases such as asthma, lungs disorders, heart diseases etc., recent interest in this device has gone up dramatically across the world due to Coronavirus pandemic! People with severe cases of Covid-19 experience low levels of oxygen in the blood, which can be detected with a finger pulse oximeter. Hence it is useful during isolation and treatment of Covid-19 infected persons.
Top Oximeters to buy online
You can buy these devices online or at your nearby medical stores if available, although prices and quality can vary widely. In this post we have named the top oximeters which in our view carry with them certain build quality, effectiveness and affordability and which are also doing well in the online market.
If you are looking to buy an oximeter, you can choose any one of these, as most of them offer similar features and all of them have good users feedback up to date. They may differ in terms of looks and pricing, and to some extent build quality. All are light weight & portable and operate with batteries, unless stated otherwise.
Arcatron Pulse Oximeter
- Quick One–touch Operation with Auto Shutoff
- Measures both SpO2 & Heart Rate (Pulse Rate) Measurement
- Soft Silica Gel Finger Mold
- Precise Infrared Based Measurement.
- Clear LED Display
Carrying almost 4 star rating, it is good for Home Use. Click Here to Check Price.
Hesley Pulse Oximeter
- Measures SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation level) and pulse rate in 10 seconds.
- Digital OLED display for clear display of results
- Pulse rate bar graph and Pulse rate waveform.
- Suitable for respiratory patients incl. Covid-19 affected persons
- Useful for enthusiasts such as mountain climbers, skiers, bikers and aviators.
- 2 AAA batteries give 30 hours usage
- Auto power off in 5 seconds
This product is a good brand has slightly premium pricing matched by its quality, features as well as 6 months warranty. It has excellent rating 5*.
Choicemmed MD300C63 Pulse Oximeter Buy Online
- Dual Colour OLED display
- Measures SPO2 and Pulse Rate (PR); shows waveform chart
- Auto Off ; Low Battery indicator
- Unbreakable & shock proof (drop tested form height of 4 ft.)
- Certifications of USFDA/CE
This is a pretty good with 1 Yr. warranty for manufacturing defects and is sold by Cloudtail India.
K-Life FTP-103 Finger Pulse Oximeter
- Measures SpO2 and pulse rate
- Low battery indicator, Auto power-off
- Clear and Bright OLED Display
- Waveform chart-type Display of oxygen saturation and pulse rate
- All usual features at good price
It has more than satisfactory rating of 3.5 Star and given its affordable price, this oximeter is a reasonably good buy for anyone.
CONTEC CMS50DL Pulse Oximeter Online
- Blood oxygen saturation levels and pulse rate
- Small & lightweight
- Large digital led display
- Low power consumption- works continuously for 30 hrs
- Auto power off; Low battery indicator
- Accommodates widest range of finger sizes
This model is quite effective at its low price point of below Rs. 1500 and is a one of best seller oximeters online.
Sansui Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- Accurate and Reliable readings
- SpO2 (blood oxygen saturation) and pulse rate
- Dual colour OLED Display
- Low Power consumption; lasts 20 hours; Auto Shut-off feature.
- Audible and Visual alarm features, which can be adjusted in settings as per acceptable limits
This product has a satisfactory 3 star rating, is sold by Sansui Electronics. Given its budget price and acceptable features, this can be a good buy.
Background on Pulse Oximeter and Relevance to Covid-19
In brief, a pulse oximeter is…
A pulse oximeter is a medical device that measures saturation of oxygen (called SpO2) in your blood cells). The way it works is it clips to your finger and then the device sends a shining light through your skin, which is analysed to give reading of blood oxygen amount. Some oximeters can be clipped onto ear, nose or toes as well.
Doctors and medical professionals routinely use pulse oximeters in hospitals and clinics for patients suffering from breathing issues or having lungs / heart disorders resulting in breathing problems. It helps in identifying if adequate oxygen is being carried through your blood or not.
You can use pulse oximeters at home as well for monitoring SpO2 regularly basis for anyone someone recovering at home at advice of doctor.
Covid-19 relevance of Pulse Oximeter
Can low blood oxygen indicate Covid 19?
Many patients with severe cases of Covid-19 are known to experience extremely low levels of oxygen in the blood. This can be measured as SpO2 level by use of a typical finger pulse oximeter. If someone tests positive for novel coronavirus or Covid 19, he or she may experience shortness of breath after few days and consequently results in lower supply of oxygen to blood.
This has increased importance of pulse oximeters in our lives, since this is a fairly simple, effective and quite affordable way of measuring oxygen level in our red blood cells.
However, you should not misunderstand pulse oximetry reading to be a substitute for Coronavirus test. A professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Washington says that Pulse Oximeter reading cannot indicate any Covid 19 infection. This is due to the fact that a Covid 19 infected person experiences lower oxygen levels only after some period (in days) of Covid 19 infection, not immediately after getting infected.
When Do You Need Pulse Oximeter during Covid 19
However, there are situations when it makes perfect sense to use pulse oximetry at home. This is really important for people who have already tested positive for Covid-19 and/or are recovering at home due to lack of isolated bed facilities outside. If you fall into this category or have any body at home in this condition, then you may think of buying and keeping a pulse oximeter at home.
Pulse oximeter can largely help monitor whether a Covid 19 patient may need additional oxygen or other urgent health care support. Some state governments in India are providing pulse oximeter for such patients to encourage increasing home treatment of Covid 19 infections. However, it is best to consult with your doctor once in such situations and not take all decisions yourself.